For many people, it’s like clockwork: the weather cools and within a few weeks their skin is itchy, red, cracked, and bone dry. Falling humidity levels kickoff annual dry skin season—skin tends to have the same moisture level as the environment it’s in, so as the weather gets dryer, we do too. Dips in temperature can exacerbate the problem further and mature, sensitive, or acneic skin types are particularly affected by the changing weather. But that doesn’t mean you have to suffer through the season. There are ways to keep dryness at bay and maintain smooth and irritation-free skin, year-round. Here’s how:
- Avoid Harsh Exfoliants: If your skin has dried out during the winter months, take a step back from your harsh chemical or physical exfoliants. This doesn’t mean you need to stop using them completely—exfoliation is important for cell turnover—but pumping the brakes for a few days while your skin resets could prove useful. And if you’re still feeling dry, opt for a natural cleansing oil instead of your usual face wash, which can often strip the skin of natural oils.
- Use a Low-Molecular-Weight Hyaluronic Acid: A low-molecular-weight hyaluronic acid (HA) is recommended for its ability to hold 1000 times its weight in water. HA helps your skin retain moisture and assists in keeping its surface smooth and soft. It even helps calm redness or irritation from particularly harsh climates.
- Layer Up: In the winter, it’s all about layering—both clothes and skincare. Start with a serum equipped to handle your toughest skin concerns. For maximum TLC, use FACTORFIVE’s regenerative serum—the only growth factor serum that lists human stem cell media as its first ingredient. FACTORFIVE’s stem cells are ethically derived and maintained in their own lab, meaning a group of highly trained scientists control the quality from start to finish. As a bonus, FACTORFIVE’s regenerative serum is high in hyaluronic acid, antioxidants, and wrinkle-fighting peptides.
Next up, opt for a cream that’s light enough to layer and calming enough to soothe your winter redness. FACTORFIVE’s anti-aging cream boasts the same powerful human stem cell media as its serum. Plus, it has the added soothing benefits of Aloe Vera and green tea extract. To form a protective seal over the skin and lock in the growth factors, apply the cream after the serum.
- Apply Morning & Night: Don’t forget to use the serum and cream combo in the morning, after washing your face and before makeup, and in the evening, when your face is clean and ready for bed.
- Don’t Forget Your Eyes: Our eyes are sensitive to the cold and dry climate of wintertime. Make sure to replenish your delicate eye area with a natural, non-irritating, fast-absorbing product like FACTORFIVE’s eye/lash cream. FACTORFIVE growth factor technology helps to smooth and tighten the under-eye skin and assists in the growth of your eyelashes and brows. It’s also prostaglandin free, which means it won’t alter the color of your eyes or leave them irritated and red.
- Don’t Forget SPF: Even though it’s cold outside, the sun’s rays are still powerful. A physical sunscreen, applied in the morning—after your serums and creams should be part of your daily routine. Use an SPF of at least 30 and if you are out in the sun for long periods of time, apply every two hours.
- Stay Hydrated: A simple, but effective tip. Drinking enough water helps your skin look dewy, plump, and gives you that just-walked-off-the-beach summer glow.
- Check Your Diet: Our skin is often a great indicator of what’s going on inside. Monitor what you eat and take notice if your skin flares up or feels extra dry after particular meals or food groups. Always consult a physician before changing anything about your diet.
It’s impossible to control the weather, but it is possible to control how you treat your skin during low humidity and low temperatures. And, if your skin cannot take it anymore, you can always plan a trip to a tropical destination where the humidity is high and your skin can recuperate— just remember to pack the sunscreen.